Privileged Access Management
Privileged Access Management (PAM) is an essential component in protecting organizations against cyber-attacks, ransomware, malware, phishing, and data leaks. No longer only for protecting admin accounts, privilege management now extends across the entire organization -from on-premises and cloud infrastructures to every user, no matter where they are working from, or what they are accessing.
This report is an overview of the market for Privilege Access Management (PAM) platforms and provides a compass to help buyers find the product that best meets their needs. KuppingerCole examines the market segment, vendor capabilities, relative market share, and innovative approaches to providing PAM solutions.
- In depth ratings and reviews of 26 leading PAM products, fully updated for 2021
- PAM vendors have responded well to the privilege remote access challenges of the pandemic period with EPM and RPA capability improvements.
- More vendors are now offering automation and improved UX design to reduce the PAM admin burden, and make access easier.
- Several previous Challengers are now taking their place among the Leaders after a year of significant capability additions and enhancements. The market remains highly competitive.
- A small but growing trend is for IDP and IAM vendors to put their toes in the PAM waters, and some existing PAM vendors openly talking about Privileged Identity and Identity Security as part of their pitch.
- More general trends include the increased availability of PAMaaS, and PAM platforms designed specifically for SMBs and cloud native deployment
- Ease of Use is no longer a "nice to have" but increasingly seen as essential to cope with the growing demands on PAM.
- More use of consumer like Wizard tools to ease set up and deployment, and PAM architecture provided out of the box
- The Product Leaders are Arcon, BeyondTrust, Centrify, CyberArk, Hitachi ID, One Identity, Senhasegura, SSH.COM, Broadcom (Symantec), Thycotic, WALLIX and Xton (acquired by Imprivata in July 2021).
- The Innovation Leaders are Arcon, BeyondTrust, Centrify, CyberArk, Hitachi ID, ManageEngine, Remediant, Saviynt, Senhasegura, SSH.COM, Stealthbits, Thycotic, WALLIX and Xton.
- The Market Leaders are BeyondTrust, Centrify, CyberArk, Hitachi ID, Micro Focus, One Identity, Saviynt, Senhasegura, Stealthbits, Broadcom (Symantec), Thycotic and WALLIX
1.2 Market Segment
Privileged Access Management (PAM) platforms are critical cybersecurity controls that address the security risks associated with privileged access in organizations and companies. It is reckoned that most successful cyber-attacks involve the misuse of privileged accounts. And misuse is enabled by poor management of privileged access using old or inadequate PAM software, policies, or in-house processes. A 2020 RSA Conference report[^