Founded in 1885, Boehringer Ingelheim is not only one of Germany’s largest pharmaceutical company’s but also still entirely owned by the descendants of company founder Albert Boehringer. The company’s endurance speaks volumes to its economic adaptability as well as chemical and technological prowess. While marvelously managing the balancing act between tradition and digitization in a global economy, Boehringer Ingelheim faced challenges in its Identity and Access Management that needed external evaluation.
Boehringer Ingelheim's mission revolves around predicting future health challenges and catalyzing transformative medical breakthroughs for both humans and animals. With a workforce of over 53,000 individuals, the company's dedication to collaborative innovation has propelled it to the forefront of medical advancements. Boehringer Ingelheim's net sales of 24.1 billion EUR in 2022 showcase its substantial contributions in Human Pharmaceuticals and Animal Health.
Partnering with Boehringer Ingelheim presented us with the unique challenge of enhancing their IT infrastructure to align it with their global leadership position. Focusing on IAM, we aimed to address the intricate task of efficiently managing identities and access within their vast operations. The surge of digitalization introduced both challenges and opportunities, calling for a well-structured IAM strategy.
Our journey with Boehringer Ingelheim was marked by a holistic approach:
- Status Quo Assessment: Through immersive workshops involving stakeholders from diverse sectors, we undertook an in-depth analysis of the existing IAM landscape. Leveraging our Identity Fabric framework and IAM Reference Architecture, we meticulously mapped the current IAM status.
- Prioritization and Trends: Collaboratively, we identified pivotal IAM areas for action, aligning our findings with emerging industry trends.
- Creation of Target Goals: Our approach integrated insights from our assessment and industry foresight, resulting in a vision and goals that would shape Boehringer Ingelheim's IAM strategy.
- Gap Closure and Roadmap: We devised actionable initiatives to bridge identified gaps, crafting a comprehensive roadmap for IAM during the years 2024, 2025, and 2026.
Our offering encompassed an IAM prioritization framework using the Identity Fabric and IAM Reference Architecture. Central to our solution was the articulation of a robust IAM roadmap for the forthcoming years, designed to elevate Boehringer Ingelheim's IT landscape.
KuppingerCole IAM Reference Architecture: Key building blocks for IAM
A span of approximately 5 months was dedicated to the project, allowing for meticulous analysis and strategic planning.
With the roadmap we developed, Boehringer Ingelheim is poised to embark on a comprehensive IAM journey in the coming years. This strategy empowers their IAM team to drive innovation, optimize efficiency, and contribute holistically to the company's vision. Our roadmap, inclusive of programs and projects, aligns the IAM strategy seamlessly with Boehringer Ingelheim's broader objectives.
- Efficient Identity Management: Boehringer Ingelheim's complex identity landscape will be streamlined, leading to faster and more accurate user provisioning and deprovisioning. This efficiency translates into reduced administrative overhead and improved security.
- Agile Response to Trends: With a roadmap aligned to emerging IAM trends, Boehringer Ingelheim is now equipped to swiftly adapt to technological advancements, ensuring they stay ahead in the dynamic pharmaceutical landscape.
- Strategic Vision: Our collaboration has facilitated the alignment of Boehringer Ingelheim's IAM strategy with its overarching vision. IAM is no longer a siloed function but a strategic enabler that supports the company's goals and aspirations.
- Data-Driven Decision-Making: The comprehensive assessment and roadmap are rooted in data-driven insights. This empowers Boehringer Ingelheim to make informed decisions, leveraging a well-defined strategy for future investments.
- Holistic Resource Allocation: The IAM roadmap supports budgets and resource allocations for each initiative. This clarity ensures optimal allocation of resources, effectively eliminating wastage and enhancing the return on investment.
- Innovate Confidently: With a solid strategy in place, the company can experiment with new technologies and processes, confident that their IAM foundation is robust.
- Optimize Collaboration: Streamlined IAM processes foster collaboration within the organization, enabling seamless information sharing while maintaining data integrity.