1 Management Summary
The KuppingerCole Market Compass provides an overview of a market segment and the vendors in that segment. It covers the trends that are influencing that market segment, how it is further divided, and the essential capabilities required of solutions. It also provides ratings of how well these solutions meet our expectations.
This Market Compass covers next-generation business intelligence (BI) platforms, or solutions that move beyond traditional BI. This next generation of solution is marked by self-service and analytics augmented by artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for data preparation, generating insights, or enabling natural language interaction with the platform. Next-generation BI platforms will also increasingly enable immediate action when viewing BI dashboards by embedding automated workflows within the platform or embedding dashboards into enterprise applications.
KuppingerCole is covering technologies that are critical for companies to be successful for digital transformation. BI platforms are a tool of digital organizations, but it is quickly being revealed that data preparation and management is the critical capability that manages high-quality datasets for the data-driven organization. Increasingly, BI solutions will incorporate more advanced data science and preparation elements, since data management is a foundational capability for not only BI, but also AI/ML programs, data governance, and data privacy initiatives.
Readers of this Market Compass will learn about the trends and developments in this market segment, be introduced to and compare the major vendors in this segment and prepare themselves to identify their own requirements for a next-generation BI platform. Readers should consider vendors based on the internal requirements of their own organization's use cases and use this report as a guide to shortlist vendors.
- KuppingerCole predicts that data management and preparation will propel BI to greater heights for digital transformation
- The many innovative ways that action can be triggered from insights will become more important features of BI platforms
- AI/ML capabilities support data preparation, generation of insights, and enable natural language interaction in BI platforms
- BI platforms are being designed for many user personas within the organization, and licensing options allow for many more users at lower cost
- Zoho is rated Outstanding in Innovation
- Microsoft is rated Outstanding in Functionality
- Tableau is rated Outstanding in Visualizations
- Dataiku is rated Outstanding in Data Preparation