IGA Solutions for ServiceNow Infrastructures
The KuppingerCole Market Compass provides an overview of the product or service offerings in a certain market segment. This Market Compass covers the market of IGA (Identity Governance & Administration) solutions with specific focus on solutions that come with good out-of-the-box support for integration into ServiceNow infrastructures. This integration becomes increasingly relevant, with ServiceNow counting amongst the leaders in IT Service Management.
1 Management Summary
The KuppingerCole Market Compass provides an overview of a market segment and the vendors in that segment. It covers the trends that are influencing that market segment, how it is further divided, and the essential capabilities required of solutions. It also provides ratings of how well these solutions meet our expectations.
This Market Compass covers IGA solutions and focuses on the level of out-of-the-box integration such solutions provide to ServiceNow, a leading ITSM (IT Service Management) platform. Thus, the focus is not primarily on the IGA capabilities themselves, which are analyzed and rated in other KuppingerCole documents such as the Leadership Compass on IGA, but specifically on how well solutions integrate with ServiceNow.
We look at both the breadth of use cases supported as well as the level of integration and the approach taken. Seamless API-based integration is favored over deep links. Apps available in the ServiceNow store are favored over solutions that don’t provide such pre-configured integrations. Solutions that just deliver a set of APIs, but no out-of-the-box integration, are not considered.
The reason for creating this Market Compass is that we observe a rapidly growing number of organizations that standardize on ServiceNow as their ITSM platform, but also as the standard user interface for requesting any type of IT services. IGA (Identity Governance and Administration), with the User Lifecycle Management and Access Governance capabilities, requires specialized solutions that e.g. support in efficiently running access reviews or enforcing SoD controls. Thus, IGA solutions commonly are separate tools, which hardly can be rebuilt as customization of ServiceNow. However, we see first vendors that create new IGA solutions on top of the ServiceNow platform, utilizing the platform services such as workflows.
We recommend customers thoroughly analyzing which integration approach fits best for them. This decision is impacted by a range of factors. These include the range of systems that must be connected – several systems, specifically legacy applications and applications in certain industries such as Healthcare or Finance, are complex to integrate and require strong provisioning capabilities as part of the Identity Lifecycles. The decision also depends on the question whether an IGA solution is already deployed or not, and whether this shall remain or become replaced sooner or later. It is also impacted by the strategic (or non-strategic) role of ServiceNow.
We strongly recommend that customers do a careful evaluation of requirements, current infrastructure, and other factors, before deciding on how to best integrate IGA and ITSM. Most importantly, custom coding should be avoided or at least be limited as much as can.
This Market Compass provides guidance on selecting the IGA solutions that provide the most advanced level of integration to ServiceNow.
- KuppingerCole observes a major growth in the demand for integrations between IGA (Identity Governance & Administration) and ServiceNow
- Deep integration, including ServiceNow apps from the app store and API-based integration are expected
- Only very few solutions are actually running on the ServiceNow NOW platform, and certified
- Supported use cases go beyond ticketing and access request integration, with an increase in more advanced integrations such as bots for access request
- Most IGA vendors today deliver some out-of-the-box integration with ServiceNow already, but may need to further extend and improve capabilities
- Integration with ServiceNow GRC and Risk Management capabilities is still rarely found
- Featured vendor for the breadth of capabilities is Saviynt, delivering a broad range of integrations, including GRC integration
- Featured vendor for innovation is EmpowerID, delivering some interesting capabilities such as bot or enhanced workflow integration
- Featured vendor for maturity is SailPoint, delivering a good set of integrations for the common use cases, including ServiceNow apps
- Featured vendor for ServiceNow integration is Clear Skye as the vendor that builds on the ServiceNow NOW platform and is certified, fully leveraging this platform