Data Governance Platforms
The KuppingerCole Market Compass Data Governance covers platforms that assist organizations in managing data so that it meets stringent compliance regulations in different markets and catalogues data for greater business value. Data Governance Tools are a relatively new addition to the existing catalogue of IT based governance solutions and their growth can in part be attributed to the rise in compliance legislation around the world, but perhaps more pertinently by the explosive growth of data held across all organizations.
1 Management Summary
The KuppingerCole Market Compass provides an overview of a market segment and the vendors in that segment. It covers the trends that are influencing that market segment, how it is further divided, and the essential capabilities required of solutions. It also provides ratings of how well these solutions meet our expectations.
This Market Compass:
Provides an assessment of the capabilities provided by 10 vendors that compete in the market for Data Governance solutions. It focuses on capabilities to find and make sense of unstructured data and, in some cases, structured data. It further analyses tools to extract business value from data.
Companies and organizations are awash with structured and unstructured data and industry estimates put it as growing by 40-80% per year. The reason: dynamic growth of digital devices, cloud platforms, services, and storage options in organizations. Data is flung far and wide across organizations from email accounts, laptops, smartphones, social media, cloud and web servers right up to the largest data lakes.
The challenge for organizations is to make sense of unstructured data, sort the wheat from the chaff and identify sensitive and business critical data. Organizations require a Data Governance Architecture Blueprint as a working structure within the organization to maintain data integrity, provide security and create value from data. Integral to that are Data Governance platforms such as those presented in this Market Compass. Ideally a Data Governance Architecture Blueprint would already be in place or created before investment in Data Governance solution.
Creating a robust data lifecycle management program is also part of the process. If configured correctly at the outset, a Data Governance architecture and platform should be robust enough to withstand new data flows, corporate changes such as M&A, other business pressures or new compliance rules.
This Market Compass report covers those Data Governance solutions, should provide an overview and analysis of unstructured data typically held on file servers, documents, endpoints, clouds within organizations and provide the tools to organize that data.
- Ten Data Governance platforms are rated by Senior Analyst Paul Fisher for unstructured data performance and compliance.
- The capabilities and use cases to consider when considering Data Governance platforms.
- Why digital transformation, cloud and collaboration has made the governance of unstructured data essential.
- How Data Governance can assist organizations in meeting compliance regulations and to reduce the number of data breaches.
- Why creating business value from unstructured data has taken on a new importance for organizations of all sizes in the new competitive landscape.
- How Data Governance architectures are now being assisted by AI and machine learning tools in new platforms.