I had several interesting discussion with some vendors about the future of some market segments in the IAM market. And when I look at these markets (and many other IT markets, including the emerging cloud market) one thing becomes obvious: Established vendors tend to act as sort of lemmings. What do I mean by that? There is an idea that appears to be successful for one vendor. Then other vendors tend to follow without really analyzing whether this is really the best approach. They frequently claim that their customers are requesting that type of solutions. But: Their customers are frequently just looking at different solutions which are available at that point and pick features which are available. Once they have the tool in production, they might ask for additional features. But customers don't tend to invite the products they might need for being successful for the next years.
This customer focus (most product management is focused on customers only, with some competitive analysis) is important - no doubt about. But there are some threats:
- It is hard to create an USP when being sort of a follower to the market. OK - larger vendors might rely on their sales strength but that doesn't always work.
- Building products and product architectures for what is common might lead into dead rows. Changing that, either by acquisitions and their integration or re-architecting products, is expensive.
But until now, there are more lemmings than other species. Or, to stay within another comparison from a management book I've read years ago ("Dolphin strategies", I can't remember the author - sorry): There are more sharks than dolphins. The author divided the business people into three categories:
- Sharks: Aggressive, trying to make their own way with elbows out.
- Carps: Doing there job at the minimum level, nothing else.
- Dolphins: Jumping out of the water, trying to detect new horizons (and, by the way, very willing to kill the holy cows of other people - I liked that...).
Get access to the whole body of KC PLUS research including Leadership Compass documents for only €800 a year
Register now for KuppingerCole Select and get your free 30-day access to a great selection of KuppingerCole research materials and to live trainings.
AI for the Future of your Business: Effective, Safe, Secure & Ethical Everything we admire, love, need to survive, and that brings us further in creating a better future with a human face is and will be a result of intelligence. Synthesizing and amplifying our human intelligence have therefore the potential of leading us into a new era of prosperity like we have not seen before, if we succeed keeping AI Safe, Secure and Ethical. Since the very beginning of industrialization, and even before, we have been striving at structuring our work in a way that it becomes accessible for [...]