Cloud Computing is still a hot topic. And there are still many different definitions out there. I personally tend to differentiate between two terms:
- Cloud: An IT environment to product IT services.
- Cloud Computing: Making use of these services - procurement, orchestration, management,...
Based on that, the sometimes discussed analogy between the Industrial Revolution and Cloud Computing is acceptable - one has to be careful with analogies because most of them have weaknesses. When looking at the concept of Cloud Computing, it is about the optimization of service delivery, based on orchestrated services (1 to n services) out of 1 to n clouds. The target is to provide the most adequate (which is a result of cost, availability, governance requirements, and many other factors) "service supply chain" to fulfill the business needs.
To do that, services must be produced efficiently. That is where automation comes into play. The internal IT environment acting as a cloud has to be efficient. Automation is a key element for efficiency. Virtualization might help as well, but efficient virtualization requires a lot of automation.
The industrialization paradigm, on the other hand, is valid when looking at the entire picture:
- The production of services (goods, parts) is automated.
- New services (goods) are built based on parts which might be delivered by external suppliers.
From an organizational perspective that leads to two different layers of IT organizations within organizations:
- The management (procurement, orchestration, auditing,...) of services, which builds on services delivered by clouds to produce the final service which is required by the business.
- The production of IT services, internally or externally.
Get access to the whole body of KC PLUS research including Leadership Compass documents for only €800 a year
Register now for KuppingerCole Select and get your free 30-day access to a great selection of KuppingerCole research materials and to live trainings.
AI for the Future of your Business: Effective, Safe, Secure & Ethical Everything we admire, love, need to survive, and that brings us further in creating a better future with a human face is and will be a result of intelligence. Synthesizing and amplifying our human intelligence have therefore the potential of leading us into a new era of prosperity like we have not seen before, if we succeed keeping AI Safe, Secure and Ethical. Since the very beginning of industrialization, and even before, we have been striving at structuring our work in a way that it becomes accessible for [...]